Salt TherapyBenefits of Salt Therapy
BENEFITS OF SALT THERAPY
Salt has been known for its healing properties for thousands of years. Even ancient writers described many aspects of salt’s positive affects on the body. Salt or halotherapy today utilizes computer controlled rooms to create an environment that promotes respiratory and skin health and healing.
Surrey’s Salt Wellness Centre uses pharmaceutical grade salt to successfully treat the symptoms of many respiratory and skin conditions. Each salt therapy session in our South Surrey, Vancouver area halotherapy centre is tailored to your specific condition.
The negative ions of salt absorbed into the body and bloodstream via the skin and lungs during a salt therapy session also help to boost the body’s immunity and resistance to illnesses, improve cell’s metabolic processes and strengthen the functions of autonomic nerves.
Below is a list of the most common conditions treatable with salt therapy, and a brief description of the physiological processes involved in each.
- Asthma in both children and adults: Salt acts as a natural anti-inflammatory, widening airways, absorbing edema (excess fluid trapped in the body’s tissues), reducing bronchospasm by humidifying and fluidizing bronchial secretions.
- Ear infections, Acute Otitis Media (AOM): Aerosolized salt particles reduce swelling caused by fluid in the eustachian tube, widen airways, and promote better drainage aeration behind the eardrum. Salt therapy also relieves cold symptoms often linked to infections, reducing nasal congestion by opening passages.
- Allergies (particularly Rhinitis or Hay Fever): Various airborne allergies can be treated drug free, with long lasting results. Salt therapy widens the airways of the respiratory tract as micro particles of salt destroy bacteria throughout your sinuses and respiratory system, reducing inflammation in both areas, clearing blockages in the bronchi, bronchioles and sinus cavities, and cleansing your system of airborne pathogens (tar, dust, pollen and smoke) which trigger Rhinitis.
- Acute or Chronic Bronchitis (Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD): Salt therapy at the Salt Wellness Centre improves your lung function by clearing them of accumulated mucous, making it easier for you to breathe. When mucus is removed, your respiratory tract will widen and clear, eventually putting an end to chronic coughing after large amounts of now mobilized mucous are expelled.
- Cold and Flu Symptoms: Halotherapy opens nasal airways, kills bacteria, activates sinus drainage, and decongests your chest by accelerating the clearance of mucous. Coughing and sneezing eventually subside as a result.
- Cystic fibrosis: Salt therapy brings relief by opening up the respiratory tract, clearing accumulated mucous, and unclogging blockages in the bronchi and bronchioles. Microscopic salt particles also absorb edema from the mucosa lining in the airway passages, reducing inflammation in the respiratory tract. Salt Wellness halotherapy also facilitates the drainage of sinusitis, promoting healing to one of the most common and debilitating symptoms of Cystic Fibrosis.
- Dermatitis (including Contact Dermatitis, Eczema, and Psoriasis): Salt Wellness salt bed treatments are a drug free way to find relief from skin irritation, itching and inflammation common to Dermatitis. As clients recline in an enclosed bed, microscopic salt particles (ranging in size from 1 um to 5 microns) infused into the air, are absorbed by your skin, killing bacteria and fungi and acting as a natural anti-inflammatory.
- Emphysema: Salt particles absorb edema from the mucosa lining the airway passages, widening the area and reducing inflammation. This allows blockages in the bronchi and bronchioles to unclog and restore normal transportation of mucous, as well as clearing the respiratory tract from allergens like pollen and tobacco smoke. Halotherapy also destroys bacteria and germs.
- Sinusitis: Symptoms are eased by opening blockages to the sinus tract. Salt particles draw out fluid, accelerating mucous clearance and reducing edema of the nasal mucousa, which leads to widening of the airway passages in the nose and sinuses, facilitating sinus drainage. Salt therapy also reduces infection and kills bacteria. With regular treatment, Sinusitis sufferers can expect to significantly reduce their dependence on prescription drugs.