INFRARED SAUNAFirst Time - What to expect
If it is your first time experiencing an Infrared Sauna session, you may not know what to expect. Infrared Sauna’s in Vancouver are becoming popular as a way to soothe and heal one’s body and mind. At Salt Wellness Centre in South Surrey, our goal is to ensure you have a relaxing first time infrared sauna experience.
Please arrive at least 15 minutes before your sauna session. Our knowledgeable staff will introduce you to our facility and give you a brief orientation to prepare you for your session. Before you begin, we have a few guidelines that will make your experience more comfortable:
SESSION DURATION: At this time, each Infrared Sauna session is 30 minutes. The Sauna can hold a maximum of 2 people.
HYDRATION – Ensure you are hydrated before your infrared sauna session. It is recommended to have snack or some protein before doing a sauna to stable blood sugar levels as you will burn up to 600 calories. This is especially recommended if you have any chronic health conditions.
WHAT TO WEAR – Our sauna is in a private room with a locked door. We provide towels to sit on and recommend wearing a bathing suit or the robe provided. Whatever you are comfortable with.
DURING YOUR SESSION – Place a towel or two on the bench seat to absorb perspiration during your sauna session. (We recommend layering a few towels.) The Infrared rays penetrate clothing and towels. Don’t over do it, listen to your body. If you feel you need to take a little break during your session, open the door for a little bit or take a few minutes to ‘cool off’. If at any time you feel faint or uncomfortable, open the door for a bit, or cut your session short. The more often you use the sauna, the more you will get used to the experience and therefore will tolerate longer sessions.
CHROMOTHERAPY – Also known as Colour Light Therapy, is said to help restore balance to the body. One of our Team members will help you set the Colour Light Therapy to one colour or to transition through the range of colours.
PERSPIRATION EXPECTATION – With an Infrared sauna, you can experience the benefits of sweating without the extreme heat. Our Infrared Sauna heat range stays between 30 -50 Degrees Celsius. Keep in mind that you typically don’t start sweating until 10 -15 minutes into the session.
AFTER YOUR SESSION – It is best not to shower immediately after your session due to eliminated toxins on the surface of the body. We provide towels to wipe off the sweat.
If the following applies to you, we recommend speaking to your doctor prior to your session and/ or rescheduling your Infrared Sauna session for another day.
- SPECIAL CONDITIONS: Do not use the infrared sauna if you are pregnant or have hemophilia, a fever or heat insensitivity.
- MEDICATIONS: Individual using prescription drugs should consult the advice of their personal physician or pharmacist prior to their first infrared sauna session.
- CARDIOVASCULAR CONDITIONS: Individuals with cardiovascular conditions or problems (hypertension/ hypo tension) should consult their physician prior to use of the Infrared Sauna.
- ALCOHOL: Contrary to popular belief, it is not advisable to attempt to “sweat out” a hangover.
- CHRONIC CONDITIONS: Various chronic conditions including Parkinson’s , Multiple Sclerosis, Central Nervous System Tumours and Diabetes with Neuropathy are associated with impaired sweating. Consult your physician prior to Infrared Sauna use.
- JOINT INJURY/ ENCLOSED INFECTIONS: If you have a recent joint injury, it should not be heated for the first 48 hours after your injury, or until the hot and swollen symptoms subside.
- IMPLANTS: Please consult your physician if you have metal pins, rods, artificial joints, silicone prostheses or any other surgical implants.